An electronic cigarette (e-cig) is a battery-powered nicotine delivery system widely used as an alternative to traditional tobacco cigarettes. Different from tobacco cigarettes, e-cigs deliver nicotine by vaporizing liquid mixtures (so-called e-liquids). With the rapid increase in e-cig users worldwide, exposure to e-cig aerosols has become a serious public health concern, especially among never-smoking adolescents and young adults. In addition to active users, vaping degrades the indoor air quality, and bystanders are also at risk of exposure to secondhand vaping aerosols. Therefore, we aim to explore the characteristics of both mainstream and secondhand aerosols as well as their health effects. In the real-world setting, we estimate the impacts of e-cig usage on the air quality of vape shops, where vaping is unrestricted, in multiunit buildings. We also explore vape shop worker exposure to e-cig-related air pollutants and testing air mitigation strategies to reduce these exposures.
Impacts of Electronic Cigarettes Usage on Indoor Air Quality of Vape Shop and Neighboring Business
1. Tiancong Ma, Xiang Wang, Liqiao Li, Bingbing Sun, Yifang Zhu, and Tian Xia, “Electronic cigarette aerosols induce oxidative stress‑dependent cell death and NF‑κB mediated acute lung inflammation in mice”, 2020, Archives of Toxicology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-020-02920-1.
2. Liqiao Li, Charlene Nguyen, Yan Lin, Yuening Guo, Nour Abou Fadel, and Yifang Zhu, “Impacts of electronic cigarettes usage on air quality of vape shops and their nearby areas”, 2020, Science of the Total Environment, DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.143423.
3. Li Zhang, Yan Lin, and Yifang Zhu, “Transport and Mitigation of Exhaled Electronic Cigarette Aerosols in a Multizone Indoor Environment”, 2020, Aerosol and Air Quality Research,https://doi.org/10.4209/aaqr.2020.03.0088
4. Liqiao Li, Eon S. Lee, Charlene Nguyen, and Yifang Zhu, “Effects of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and nicotine on emissions and dynamics of electronic cigarette aerosols”, 2020, Aerosol Science and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1080/02786826.2020.1771270.
5. Liqiao Li, Yan Lin, Tian Xia, and Yifang Zhu, “Effects of Electronic Cigarettes on Indoor Air Quality and Health”, 2020, Annual Review of Public Health, 41, 363-380, DOI: 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-040119-094043, PMID: 31910714.
6. Charlene Nguyen, Liqiao Li, Chanbopha Amy Sen, Emilio Ronquillo, and Yifang Zhu, “Fine and ultrafine particles concentrations in vape shops”, 2019, Atmospheric Environment, 211, 159-169, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2019.05.015.
7. Tongke Zhao, Charlene Nguyen, Che-Hsuan (Sherry) Lin, Holly R. Middlekauff, Kacey Peters, Roya Moheimani, Qiuju Guo, and Yifang Zhu “Characteristics of Secondhand Electronic Cigarette Aerosols from Active Human Use”, 2017, Aerosol Science and Technology, 51, 1368-1376, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02786826.2017.1355548.
8. Tongke Zhao, Shi Shu, Qiuju Guo, and Yifang Zhu “Effects of design parameters and puff topography on heating coil temperature and mainstream aerosols in electronic cigarettes” 2016, Atmospheric Environment, 134, 61–69, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2016.03.027.